Monday, December 10, 2007

The Headless Chicken

I'm so glad this weekend is over. Don't get me wrong, we had tons of fun, but it was a lot of work. You know when you have so many things to do and prepare for that you can't see straight? Well, that was me. I felt like a chicken with its head cut off -- hence the title of this post. I couldn't think of anything else.

Steve didn't have to be at school long, so we ran a few errands to gather things we needed this weekend. We had the missionaries over for dinner, and I was trying out a new overnight pizza dough recipe (I might blog about it later.) I ran into a few glitches, and when I was finished, my kitchen looked like a tornado ran through it. (A nice tornado. Nothing was broken.) Now might be a good time to note that we do NOT have a dishwasher. Any project I do in the kitchen takes twice as long because I have to hand-wash everything. I'm beginning to go a little nuts. Steve does the dishes quite often, so it's not as bad as it could be.

Dishes are finally done! And yes, I'm wearing socks. I finally forced myself to pack the flip flops to spare my poor feet from drying out all winter.


I finished writing my talk for Sunday, then I started some Christmas treats (which I WILL blog about later) then started to prepare for that night. A few of us got together and did a progressive dinner that ended with a white elephant exchange. Missy and I were in charge of appetizers over at her place. I hadn't used my fondue pot much, so I suggested that we bust out some cheese. I think it turned out OK. It had a good flavor--and it better had because there was $15 worth of French-imported Swiss and smoked Gouda in there. (And yes, I'd do it again. I think I'd rather splurge on cheese than a new shirt.) Here are a few pics from that night:

Me, Missy, & Hadley

Natasha, Jessica (who thought this was the "silly picture" lol), Heather, Jessie, Missy, Tagen and me perched on the back of the couch. Wow, this looks like it was a girl party. It wasn't. Again, we're not the most diligent photographers.

One of Steve's specials.

So, after we'd been at the first house for a few minutes I realized I had totally forgotten about the White Elephant exchange. In between houses I ran home to grab a couple of things. I grabbed a little black purse that I don't use anymore and began looking through Steve's stuff. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to get rid of something I don't like. (I'm so mean.) I saw his bright orange Mr. T shirt hanging in his closet and knew that it was destined for another closet in another house. I wrapped both and headed back to the party. When the gift exchange started, Steve's shirt was the first one unwrapped. He wasn't happy. (I didn't tell him what I had brought.) The little stinker managed to steal it back from someone at the end of the game.

Much to my dismay it's back in his closet. Oh, did I mention that Mr. T's mohawk and beard are sort of a puffy-paint texture? This shirt is overflowing with class.

And if anyone is looking for a book to help them improve their love life, I recently acquired one that has great illustrations. (Thanks, Lundell's.)


Not only did Steve and I have to speak in church, I had to play the piano for the choir and another musical number. Sophie had woken me up FOUR times the night before, so I wasn't in the most pleasant of moods when I arrived at the church at 8AM to practice. Oh, and did I mention that I was also called to be one of the organists in the ward? I've always wanted to learn to play, I just didn't want to learn in front of a couple hundred people. At least I only have to play once a month, but on those Sundays, that only leaves me a 40-minute window when I can nurse Sophie because I also play for the Primary. (See why I want to make my kids learn to play the piano?!? There needs to be more people in the church that can do it.)

We were asked to speak about Joseph Smith, which I liked. This was the first time we'd spoken since we got married. (and the first time for me since my mission report -- Yikes!) I think it went alright. Everyone now knows that I'm a crier. It was bound to come out sooner or later. Steve's mom came with Michael (his bro) and Ife (Michael's friend). It was nice having someone watch Sophie. After church I had a quick Visiting Teaching appointment, then we had lunch.

After everyone left, I put Sophie down for a nap and climbed into bed myself. I stayed there for a good three hours. If you know me well, you know that I'm not normally a napper. I take maybe five naps a year.

Dad, is mom ever going to wake up?


The Rogers said...

I need to move on your street. You guys always do such fun stuff I want to do it too.

Andrea said...

I feel the same way about having so much to do, but your stuff sounds more fun. By the way, my sister-in-law reads your blog and thinks Sophie is so cute! She wants to comment sometimes, but then thinks that you'll think she's some crazy freak! Maybe she is if she reads strangers' blogs. ;)

Natalie said...

I'd never think she was a freak. Haha. I'd love to hear what she has to say! Actually, I read strangers' blogs, too. There's one lady I found who's hilarious. I need to add her to my link list :)

Chelsea said...

Sounds like a very fun and eventful weekend. You should let Steve keep the could be a collectible one day, esp. now that Mr. T died (did you hear about that? the fool overdosed...who's pitying who now).

We were just talking at the office on Tuesday about a white elephant and reminiscing about the lingerie shirt Derek brought in and how Cindy left it and didn't say a WORD when we UPS'ed it to her. What a nut!

Dave & Chels said...

Our dishwasher is broken, too! It makes you really appreciate how speedy a machine is, vs. your hands. And I too would rather splurge on cheese than on a shirt! Especially the kinds you had at that party.

Cassia said...

Yay! A fellow organist. :) Does your organ have a "bass coupler" button? I learned about that just after I started my calling and it's been a life saver for those times that practice didn't exactly make perfect on the pedal work. :) Then I just play a modified piano style and nobody knows the difference (few, if any, other organists in the ward--hence the fact that I've been called for it!). :)

Jessie Jo said...

How is the book these days, getting much use??

Natalie said...

Didn't anyone tell you? There's no time for that after the babies start coming. :D

Sar said...

I totally understand the piano thing. Mom told me once that I have to learn to play the piano for that very reason. I was really glad I knew how when they tried to bust out a cd player in my single branch. Yicks!