Thursday, June 12, 2008

Doesn't Everyone Wash Their Bread?

I was pulling some wet towels from the washer the other day and noticed that there was bread on everything. Not just crumbs, but chunks of soggy bread stuck to every single thing in the washer.

"What the . . ." I thought. As weird as it was, I wasn't that surprised. If you saw where my washer sits, you wouldn't be that surprised either.

Our quirky little homes here on "chiropractic row" have the convenience of all major appliances in one room: the kitchen. All of them -- fridge, stove, washer, dryer, hot water heater. All except the dishwasher, which should be in the kitchen, but is actually in the dining area. While this has its benefits, it also has its drawbacks, such as having all your clothes smell like Thai coconut curry because you forgot to take them out of the dryer before making dinner. . .

or having all your towels covered with pieces of bread. I think one of two things happened. I often make bread in my bread machine, and when it comes out, I cover it with a towel so it can cool without drying out. The bread towel is usually covered with crumbs, but may have had a whole slice of bread in there this time.

Or Sophie may have found a good-sized chunk of bread on the kitchen floor and threw it into the laundry basket, which often sits in front of the washer. (I don't know how a piece of bread that size would have ended up on my immaculate kitchen floor, which is always shiny and food-free. Smashed Cheerios? Squished bananas that have hardened into petrified lumps? Sticky spots from dropped strawberries that have collected fuzz from who-knows-where? Nope. Not on my floor. ;))

Ya, so another rinse cycle took care of most of the bread and the lint catcher in the dryer caught the rest. If I do have a rogue bread crumb in my hair, please let me know.

4 comments:

Sara said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has such an "immaculate" floor. Those things fit my floor to a T!! haha!

Chelsea said...

Oh that's funny! We didn't have bread issues, but last month Ryan heard a 'crash' and thought it was the upstairs neighbors being loud or dropping something. Nope. Turned out to be OUR liquid laundry detergent falling off the shelf onto the washer, cracking its lid and dumping everywhere in the process. We discovered this mess on our way out to dinner when we went to put the dog in the bathroom and found a blue pile of ultra concentrated detergent.

So, even thought having your laundry 'room' in your kitchen isn't the most desirable, you'd probably have caught something like that before you had to wash the set of towels used to clean the mess THREE times.

At least we didn't have to add soap!

Cassia said...

Wow. You have me beat there--I've found lots of odd things in the wash, but never BREAD. :) And by the way, I think your kitchen floor is pretty normal for a family with young children. At least it is for us. :)

Kathryn said...

That is too funny!

Hey, at least it was BREAD. Jon is terrible about leaving stuff in his pockets before putting pants in the wash. He left one of his drawing pens in there once... it exploded in the dryer and now my dryer has black racing stripes on the inside. Not to mention the clothes came out looking like 101 Dalmations.