Thursday, November 08, 2007

A Shirt's Worst Enemy

Pomegranates are pretty hot right now, so out of curiosity we picked one up at the grocery store a while ago. It was still sitting in the fruit bowl this afternoon, just asking to be cut.

The only experience I had ever had with a pomegranate was in high school with a bunch of friends. I don't remember what it tasted like or what it looked like on the inside. I just remember ruining a sweater I had splurged on at the Gap, which was a big deal because the closest one was in Jackson Hole, WY, over an hour away from where I lived. It was supposed to be mostly green, but after that day it had a maroon colored spot right on the front. I was livid.

So I picked up this pomegranate and remembered seeing instructions on a sign at the grocery store. All I could remember was cutting off the top 1/2 inch or so. The rest would be cake, right? I mean, who need instructions to open a piece of fruit?

I cut the top off when I realized I was wearing a white shirt that I've only had for a month or so. I paused, debating on whether to take it off.

"I'm an adult now, and I have grown out of spilling on myself," I thought. Ya right. The fact that the shirt cost me about $2.00 is the only reason why I didn't change. I hoped for the best.

I started to cut it up and things were going well until one of the little pod things exploded... all over my shirt. It was a pretty color, but the shirt was history. I thought maybe I could save it by squirting MORE juice on it, hoping I could somehow make it look like the shirt was intended to have spots.



OK, stupid idea.

I made a mess all over myself and the countertop, but was triumphant.





Those pod things are actually really pretty. Taste good, too (with lots of sugar)... kind of a mix of grapes, berries and grapefruit. I think I'll opt for the juice next time, though.

10 comments:

The Rogers said...

Yeah you found me!!!!! I added you to my friends blog list LOL O and TAG!!! your it write 7 tings about yourself. :)

The Rogers said...

HAHAHA LOVE IT!!!! IM so glad you found me now we can be blog buddy's :).....yeah I know im a dork. See ya

Dave & Chels said...

So much for that shirt, huh? I like pomegranates, but not enough to buy them and go through the dreadful process of peeling them. (I imagine you now know how I feel.) I HATE it when I ruin my clothes like that - it always happens when I am wearing a favorite, too.

Jessie Jo said...

I always have to put on a grubby old t-shirt to eat a pomegranate, good luck getting the juice out. I'm glad you're here in Cali and look forward to getting to know you neighbor!!

Brynn said...

My opinion: the pomegranate is a delightful and difficult fruit. I love that you tried to make art out of it on your shirt.. ha ha ha ha...however, if you choose to buy and consume pomgranate juice you should buy a small amount. We bought it and drank a small amount of it and I thought it was way way nasty. I like pomegranates just the way they are. There is my 2 cents.

Cassia said...

Oh, man! The fruit is really pretty, though, I do agree. I'll have to try it sometime (apparently while wearing an apron!). :)

Chelsea said...

I love pomegranates. When I was growing up in AZ there was a neighbor in the alley behind us with tons of pomegranate bushes that grew over the fences and were constantly getting smashed on the ground. We'd often throw them at the other people at the bus stop (they threw back! we weren't just being mean, it was to kill time) and started eating them then. I dont' remember getting anything really stained except my fingers though...then again, we just cracked them open by stomping on them and picking up the peices and breaking it apart to eat it. I don't know about cutting it with a knife...could be a whole new adventure.

Britty said...

Hi Natalie - I found your blog from someone else's blog on the street. It was so fun to read all about you guys. We have a lot in common, as I realized when I read your "7 things about me" section. I've been tagged, too, and I'm going to have to try not to duplicate all of your answers now that they're in my head. It's a bummer that we'll be moving so shortly after you arrived, but it's good to know your family. Hopefully we can see more of you before we go!

Lorraine said...

I love pomegranates. I recently learned that you can completely immerse them in water while you peel them. That one step alone has saved my entire wardrobe. All the peel floats to the top, and the fruit stays at the bottom. Rinse and strain.

Anonymous said...

Haha :) You are so funny! I had no idea they had directions on how to eat a piece of fruit!!! Hahaha
Miss you! Give Sophie a big kiss for me.... and maybe, sing her my song :) :) "skinny-marink-y-dinky-dink, skinny-marink-y-do...."