Monday, October 22, 2007

A Day at the Temple

Yesterday we had Stake Conference at the auditorium next to the Oakland temple. The weather was gorgeous and the talks were good, too.

I liked when our Stake President talked about parents setting examples for and spending time with their children. He said, "Parents should teach Gospel Principles with what they do with their children." Then he repeated it twice, emphasizing the word do.

There was another good talk about happiness vs. feeling happy. Feelings of amusement are always fleeting and what's more important is to have a deeper source of joy in our lives by living the Gospel and having the Spirit as a companion. He said that there was nothing wrong with wholesome entertainment, but when it gets in the way of spiritually nourishing ourselves, it's not good. He said that many of the youth are "amusing themselves to death . . . spiritual death." That reminded me of Elder Oaks's General Converence talk about how we spend our time. (Good/Better/Best)

After conference we walked outside and from the temple grounds we could see downtown Oakland, San Francisco and both the Bay and Golden Gate Bridges. BEAUTIFUL! I guess it's rare to be able to see all that because it's often foggy. Does it surprise anyone that we didn't have our camera with us? We went back just before sunset to try to get some good pictures, but our little camera didn't do it justice. Here's what we did get, though . . .

















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the pictures! :) Also, Elder Oaks' talk was one of my favorites! It really hit home with me (so many things I can do, needing to be careful to pick the more important and lasting ones first). Thanks for sharing! :)

Beth schell said...

What a beautiful day! And, as usual, Sophie is adorable!

Christina said...

Hi, your friend Amanda and I know each other on AlamedaCountyMom.com and shared your blog with me and it just so happened I noticed you're lds and near the Oakland temple =) I am also lds and in San Leandro so I thought I'd say hi neighbor (wherever you are). Your daughter is such a cutie!