Thursday, October 04, 2007

Neighborly Problem-Solving

Problem: Milk costs about $5 a gallon here, and I was worried that our grocery bill would sky-rocket.
Solution: Not only did we find a grocery store where milk is less than $3 a gallon, but my neighbor told me about a farmers market about a mile from here. She thinks it's open year-round every Saturday. AND she knows of a place in Berkeley that has tons of stuff in bulk and wants someone to go with her.

Problem: I really want to plant an herb garden and maybe some other veggies and flowers, but my thumb is about as green as a tumbleweed.
Solution: Same neighbor majored in HORTICULTURE. How lucky could I get? She's been here since July and is already looking for someone to give basil to because she has too much.

Problem: Same neighbor needs to finish making curtains, but the sewing machine that was passed around the neighborhood is currently in use.
Solution: I have a little Pfaff machine that I used in Jr. High during my sewing escapades. I got it "lubed" before I left because it hadn't been used in 15 years. It's as good as new now and will probably find its way next door.

Problem: I haven't sewed a stitch in 15 years and forgot how to thread the darn thing.
Solution: Said neighbor will show me how. :)

By the way, my neighbor's name is Natasha AND she's from Idaho. I think we're going to be friends.

6 comments:

3dgar said...

It seems like she is going to be more like a mentor to you. Best wishes to all!

Mary said...

That's so great. :) Hooray for Neighbors!

Dave & Chels said...

Wow, you lucked out in the neighbor department! That's awesome. Also, I feel the same way about sewing. I'm slowly remembering how to do it - evidence soon to come on my blog!

Anonymous said...

Man, we seriously need neighbors like that where we live. Ours are either overly-nosey (like spying-nosey), or mentally deranged. I forgot how expensive California was, but I really liked living there.

Julia said...

That is so great you have someone like that already. How about ward members? Have you been to church there yet?

Andrea said...

Milk is so expensive here because our cows are so happy...haven't you seen the commercials? Our neighbors like to smoke pot. Poor Jakob probably gets high every day. How neighborly huh?