Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Monkey Girl

I really wanted to make Sophie a tutu and dress her up as a ballerina. Then we were invited to a neighborhood Halloween party that required couples-oriented costumes. Well, if Sophie was going to be a ballerina, there was no way I could get Steve in tights. And because I only had a week to prepare (because we weren't planning on dressing up in the first place), we relied on our default costumes that Steve brought back from Afghanistan. We looked like an Afghani/Indian couple. So we dressed Sophie up as our pet monkey. I couldn't find a costume small enough for her, so I bought a sleeper and sewed ears and a tail to it. (By the way, it was my first time back at the sewing machine in over 12 years. I'm pretty proud of myself.)

After I finished her costume, we found out that it was sort of a "no kids" type of thing. ACH! We took her anyway because everyone I would feel comfortable leaving her with around here would be at this party. Plus she's really good and didn't make a fuss. (Picture to come, hopefully.)

This morning she had on her Halloween jammies, and then I put her costume back on her tonight as the trick-or-treaters came by. We had quite a few and went through almost four bags of candy.











6 comments:

Brynn said...

It's a sign...Joseph was a monkey too! :)

Cassia said...

Very cute. That was a great costume idea! :) I'd really love to see a picture of you and Steve, though (or all three of you together). :)

Beth schell said...

I love the monkey! Way to go seamstress... it's really cute!

Chelsea said...

that's so cute! you did a great job and i'm impressed with yoru ingenuity of using a premade bodysuit. so crafty!

Natalie said...

IT'S A SIGN! Haha... Maybe it is ;) I just got flashbacks of us saying that ALL the time in Russia. We're so silly.

Andrea said...

Pet Monkey!!!! hahahahha. I laughed out loud. That's funny!