Friday, October 19, 2007

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

After a ten-day drought of posts, I think I owe you another one today. Fall is my favorite time of year for baking because I LOVE things with pumpkin and apples and gingerbread. MMMMMMM.

I had some leftover pumpkin in the fridge last night that needed to be used and because I had signed up to bring a treat to Enrichment, I looked for something to do with it. I found this recipe on the Taste of Home website. If you've ever had one of those Libby pumpkin rolls with the cream cheese filling, these taste a lot like that.

So I brought them to Enrichment, and I heard an older lady who was standing by the treat table start talking about them. Then she went around to all of the tables where we were sitting, trying to find who brought them. When she got to our table, I confessed that I brought them. She gave me this look like she wanted to hug me, then she asked me what was in the middle of them like it was some sort of magical elixir.

"Cream cheese frosting," I responded.

It was sort of anti-climactic, but cream cheese frosting, to me anyway, can be magical. I came to find out that the lady who had asked about them was known as the "Dessert Queen" of the ward and rarely raved about any other dessert besides her own. I think I've made a good impression so far. :)




Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

3 c flour
1 1/2 c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt
5 eggs
1 15-oz can pumpkin
1/2 c water
1/2 c oil
1 tsp vanilla

Cream Cheese Filling:
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 c butter, softened
2 c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. In another bowl, beat remaining ingredients until well mixed, then stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. DON'T overmix.

Drop by 2 Tablespoons 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet, shaping each into a circle. Bake at 350 for 9-10 minutes or until tops are firm Remove to wire racks to cool.

In a small mixing bowl, beat filling ingredients together. Spread over bottom of half the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Store in refrigerator. Makes about 24.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natalie, that looks sooooo good! I will definitely have to try my hand at making it! :)

Chelsea said...

Funny thing...I might have just jumped on the Taste of Home bandwagon. I picked up their holiday magazine/recipe book and already made something from it and contemplated making the pumpkin whoopie pies (they're in it) and then saw your post.

I'm glad they're great! Look up Pumpkin Dip on their site. It's sooo good. they suggest eating it with gingersnaps, but I found that to be a bit too spicy, so I opted for the apples. I bet it would be really good on toast and on sugar cookies or gingerbread though!